Saturday, April 9, 2011

My Ántonia


If we never arrived anywhere, it did not matter. Between that earth and that sky I felt erased, blotted out. I did not say my prayers that night: here, I felt, what would be would be.
-Jim Burden in My Ántonia by Willa Cather

As it nears one am, I'm slipping into the sneaky hours of the night, where I fall to thinking and reminiscing more than anything else. Germany's very close after seeing the picture above--these cherry blossoms are at Cologne's Japanese Cultural Institute, which is a five minute walk from where I studied. It's strange to think that Germany hasn't frozen in time since I left, and that the wintertime I left behind is no longer there.

But what will be will be, as Willa Cather puts so wonderfully in the novella I just finished. A great read. Beautiful. I'm not sure where Ms. Cather found her genius.

Two books down, nine hours to go!

Pages read: 301

2 comments:

  1. So you are still going strong with the readatho! Sounds like you have read awesome books! What will be your next read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go to still be reading along....enjoyed your reflections as well. Good Luck in your reading and hope to see you next read-a-thon!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete